DYNA® PRIMER-MP is a concentrated acrylic primer that enhances the performance and adhesion of a DYNA brand of self-leveling underlayments (SLUs), self-leveling overlayments (SLOs) and cement or gypsum based patching and skim-coating compounds on nonabsorbent surfaces such as ceramic tile, vinyl composition tile (VCT), epoxy moisture barriers and adhesive residue, as well as profiled, absorbent surfaces. Suitable for a wide variety of substrates, PRIMER-MP combines excellent versatility with easy of application and is quick-drying.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Easy to apply with a brush, roller or push broom.
- Multipurpose as it can be used for suitable porous and non-porous substrates.
- Low VOC.
- Contributes to LEED project points.
- Enable the application of self-leveling underlayments, self-leveling overlayments and patching compounds without the need to scarifying the surface.
- Properly prepared sound and stable concrete substrates that are either smooth, nonabsorbent, profiles or absorbent.
- Well bonded and properly prepared tile, stone and VCT.
- Non-cushioned sheet goods if they are single layer only and well bonded to a substrate approved for tile.
- Cement backer units (CBUs).
- Gypsum substrates.
- Epoxy cement terrazzo.
- Well bonded, water insoluble adhesive residues and leveling compounds.
- Dimensionally stable exterior-grade plywood, oriented strand board (OSB) or other suitable wood substrates.
- Thin well bonded cutback adhesive residue.
- Epoxy moisture barriers.
- Well bonded epoxy coatings.
- Difficult to bond substrates such as metal.
- Radiant floor heating systems.
WHERE TO USE
- Residential homes, apartments, and condominiums.
- Commercial buildings, offices, hotels, restaurants, airports, shopping malls, department stores, schools, and libraries.
- Institutional and government buildings, hospitals, universities, penal facilities, military bases, community centers.
- For interior dry environment use only.
- Not to be used over wet areas.
- Not to be used over areas subject to hydrostatic pressure.
- The substrate and ambient temperature must be between 10° to 32°C (50° to 90°F).
- Ensure that the substrate to be primed is clean and free of dust and any bond-inhibiting materials.
- Protect the product from freezing.
- Do not acid-etch surfaces before applying Primer-MP.
SECTIONS - 035400
A. SURFACE PREPARATION
Ensure that the substrate is clean and free of contaminates, oil, grease, floor finishes, wax, paint, tar, asphalt, sealers, curing compounds, form release agents, laitance and dirt. All substrates must be structurally sound, solid, stable and dry.
For best results, room and product should be kept at 10° to 21°C (50° to 70°F) for 24 hours before, during and 48 hours after application. Refer to the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for more information.
- OVER NONABSORBENT SURFACES
Apply PRIMER-MP undiluted. Add no water; no mixing is required.
- OVER POROUS, ABSORBENT SURFACES
Dilute PRIMER-MP with water at a ratio of 1:1 to 3:1 (water to primer). Mix with water in a separate clean container with a low-speed mixer and paddle to a homogenous consistency. Do not mix at high speeds, which may cause product to foam and froth.
- OVER GYPSUM SUBSTRATES
Refer to the chart. Apply two coats if required by visual inspection. Ensure that the gypsum substrate is sound and free of gypsum dust.
|Substrate||Primer To Water Ratio||Coverage in m2 ( Square Feet )|
|Porous Concrete||1:3||9.5 (103)||38 (415)||190 (2050)|
1:4 First Coat
|Wood||3:1||6 (66)||24 (255)||155 (1300)|
|Vinyl Tile /VCT/ Steel||Full Strength||3.4 (35)||13 (140)||65 (700)|
|Epoxy Coatings||Full Strength||3.4 (35)||13 (140)||65 (700)|
|Natural Stone||Full Strength||5.7 (61)||22.9 (245)||116 (1250)|
|Porcelain Tile||Full Strength||13.9 (150)||55.7 (600)||278.9 (3000)|
|Ceramic Tile||Full Strength||13.9 (150)||55.7 (600)||278.9 (3000)|
Read all installation instructions thoroughly before installation.
1. Use a brush or short nap roller for non-porous surfaces or a soft push broom for porous surfaces to apply an even, continuous film. Do not allow product to puddle.
2. The underlayment can typically be applied within 2 to 5 hours after application. Drying times will vary depending on the porosity of the surface, temperature and humidity. The maximum wait time from initial application is 24 hours.
3. To ensure product is fully dried, apply water droplet to surface and rub with fingertip. When water remains clear, product is fully dried. If water turns milky white, product is not dry. Repeat every 30 minutes until water remains clear. Avoid excessive foot traffic and surface contamination.
4. If the dried PRIMER-MP remains uncovered for more than 24 hours, re-apply another coat and install the underlayment within the correct application window.
Clean equipment immediately with water. Mineral spirits may be used to remove primer that has dried on tools.
DYNA® PRIMER-MP Premium Universal Multipurpose Primer is available in:
- 0.94 L (1 U.S. Quart)
- 3.78 L (1 U.S. Gallon)
- 18.9 L (5 U.S. Gallons)
DYNA shall not be liable for incidental and consequential damages, indirectly or directly sustained, nor for any loss by application of these goods not in accordance with the printed instructions or for other than the intended use. Before using the user shall determine the suitability of the product for its intended use and the user will assume all risks and liabilities that may arise in connection therewith. DYNA’s liability is expressly limited to the replacement of defective goods. Any claim shall be deemed waived unless the claim is made in writing to DYNA within 30 days from the date it was, or reasonably should have been,
This premium quality product was designed to satisfy the user. If you are not satisfied after surface testing on a small area, please contact our technical service department immediately. NO WARRANTIES expressed or implied are offered by DYNA. The manufacturer’s liability is limited to the replacement of products proven defective. The user assumes all risks and liabilities associated with the use of this product. Any claim shall be deemed waived unless the claim is made in writing to DYNA within 30 days from the date it was, or reasonably should have been, discovered that the product was defective. Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Available.
|at 23°C (73°F) and 50% relative humidity|
|Polymer Backbone||Acrylic emulsion|
|pH||7 to 8|
|Viscosity||1500 to 1800 cps|
|Flash Point||> 100°C (212°F)|
|Application Temperature Range||10° to 38°C (50° to 100°F)|
|Window of Application of SLU or SLO||2 to 3 hours from application on porous substrates.
4 to 5 hours from application on nonporous substrates
|Open Time||Dependent upon temperature and humidity|
|Cure Time||30 minutes to 5 hours|
|Storage||Do not freeze. Store in cool, dry location
Do not expose to nor store in direct sunlight. Do not store open containers
|Shelf Life||1 year from date of manufacture|
NOTE: Refer to the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for more information.