DYNA® DYNAPLAN 150 Premium Self-Leveling Underlayment & Topping is used to level floors prior to the installation of ceramic tile, natural stone, resilient flooring, carpet, wood and other floor coverings. It is a quick setting underlayment and can be applied from feather-edge to 40 mm (1.5") thick in one pour. It is a self-leveling, self-drying underlayment and repair mix for interior concrete and engineer-approved floors.
It offers high compressive strength and is abrasion-resistant. Light foot traffic can begin after 2 to 3 hours and vehicular rubber-wheel traffic after 3 days.
FEATURES & ADVANTAGES
The benefits associated with the use of this product are:
- Can be applied from featheredge to 40 mm (1.5") thick in a single pour
- Reduces bond failure and crumbling of resilient flooring
- Cures fast and develops high early strength for quick installation of final floor coverings
- Rated for extra heavy use on wood subfloors with joists to 61 cm (24") per ASTM C627
- Long heal times for extended workability
- Water resistant, non-shrinking
- Pumpable, free-flowing; eliminates sanding and troweling
- Compatible with most adhesives
STANDARDS, APPROVALS AND TEST METHODS
- ASTM 109 For Compressive Strength
- ASTM C627 Standard Test Method for Evaluating Ceramic Floor Tile Installation Systems using the Robinson-Type Floor Tester
- ASTM F1869 Standard Test Method for Measuring Moisture Vapor Emission Rate of Concrete Subfloor Using Anhydrous Calcium Chloride
- ANSI A108.01 & A108.02 of the American National Standards for the Installation of Ceramic Tile Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI) — Recommended Work Practices for Removal of Resilient Floor Coverings
- Tile Council of North America (TCNA) — TCNA Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation, TCNA
SUITABLE SURFACES AND SUBSTRATES
DYNA® DYNAPLAN 150 is suited for quick-turnaround leveling, smoothing and repairing of interior floors before the installation of floor coverings. Ceramic tile and natural stone can be installed as soon as 3 to 4 hours after application. Other floor coverings, such as carpet, vinyl sheet goods, vinyl tile, vinyl composition tile (VCT), homogenous PVC, rubber and engineered wood plank, can typically be installed 16 to 24 hours after application. It can be applied on the following surfaces:
- Concrete and existing mortar beds that are, sound, dry, dimensionally stable, and fully cured for at least 28 days old.
- Cement backerboards
- Exterior grade plywood (interior) with floor joists up to 61 cm (24") o.c. Subfloors must be properly prepared, bonded, and free from dirt and dust
- Existing ceramic tile, pavers, brick
- Natural stone
- Concrete terrazzo
- Well bonded sheet vinyl
- Cutback adhesive (non-water soluble)
- Properly prepared OSB
SUITABLE FLOOR COVERINGS
- Ceramic tile, pavers, brick, thin brick
- Natural and dimensional stone, terrazzo
- Wood, parquet
- Vinyl composition tile (VCT)
- Sheet vinyl flooring
- Laminated flooring
- Traffic bearing epoxy or urethane coating
- Do not use over gypsum underlayment.
- Do not use when the temperature is below 4°C (40°F). In cooler conditions, use indirect auxiliary heaters to maintain ambient and substrate temperatures. Maintain this minimum temperature for at least 72 hours after applying.
- Do not use on sloped surfaces that require drainage.
- This product is not meant for use as a wear surface as it is an underlayment. For wearing surfaces use an DYNA brand of overlayment or topping.
- DYNAPLAN 150 is for use in dry, interior area use only. For exterior use or for areas subject to prolonged exposure to moisture, use an exterior rated DYNA brand of topping or screed.
- Not for use in submerged applications.
- Do not install DYNAPLAN 150 over particleboard, chipboard, Masonite®, luan panels, metal, asbestos, gypsum-based patching materials or any other unstable materials.
- Do not exceed recommended mixing ratio as indicated in mixing instructions. Over watering will weaken product properties.
- Never mix with cement or other admixtures.
- Do not apply DYNAPLAN 150 over waterproofing or crack isolation membranes.
SECTIONS - 035400 / 930000
A. SURFACE PREPARATION
Surfaces must be structurally sound, clean, dry and free from grease, oil, paint, tar, asphalt, wax, sealers, curing compounds, release agents, laitance, dirt and other contaminants that would prevent good adhesion. Ambient room temperature, surfaces and materials should be maintained at higher than 10°C (50°F). Moisture vapor transmission should be less than 2.23 kg (5 lb.) per 92.9 m² (1000 ft²) per day in accordance with ASTM F1869 or equivalent.
If vapor transmission exceeds the recommended maximum, contact DYNA Technical Services for further assistance.
Always prime the prepared surface with DYNA brand of primer before applying DYNAPLAN 150. Do not apply primer over wet surfaces. Apply the primer with a paint brush, short nap roller or soft push broom. Apply a thin even coat and allow to dry approximately 2 hours to a clear film.
Concrete surfaces must be fully cured and must accept water penetration. New concrete surfaces must be at least 28 days old. Contaminants should be mechanically removed before installation. Concrete must be free of efflorescence and not subject to hydrostatic pressure. It is recommended to mechanically roughen concrete to ensure a good bond. Concrete surfaces can be mechanically profiled and prepared by shot-blasting, sandblasting, water-jetting, scarifying, or diamond-grinding.
Plywood floors, including those under resilient flooring, must be structurally sound and must meet all the ANSI standards. The maximum allowable deflection of the supporting surface must not exceed L/360 (or L/720 for installations involving natural stone or their agglomerates) when exposed to live or dead loads. DYNAPLAN 150 can be used over subfloors of engineer-approved plywood or OSB subfloors. When applying DYNA underlayments to plywood flooring, installation requirements (finished flooring, load, use,
and/or deflection) may require the utilization of a metal lath or diamond mesh on top of the primed surface prior to the application of the underlayment. In all cases one can anticipate better performance when utilizing a lath, particularly over OSB. Differential or excessive movement within plywood substrate may lead to hairline cracks at plywood joints. For a metal lath, fasten every 15–20 cm (6"–8") with fasteners that have a galvanized or corrosion resistant coating. For a 18.2 mm (23/32") plywood subfloor with 61 cm (24") o.c. joints, the metal lath must be a minimum of 1.13 kg/M² (2.5 lb/yd2). All plywood seams should be gapped 3 mm (1/8") and protected by placing a minimum 38 mm (1.5") bond breaker tape over the gaps.
Provide for expansion and control joints where specified, including the perimeter of the room, columns, supports and equipment pedestals. Where control or expansion joints do not exist in the substrate, provide for them in the system.
SMALL CONTENT MIXES
Use a clean mixing vessel 18.9 L (5 U.S. gals.) and pour the required amount of cool, clean, potable water. Use a heavy duty 13 mm (1/2") electric drill and mixing paddle at 500 R.P.M. Add DYNAPLAN 150 powder while slowly mixing. Mix water and DYNAPLAN 150 powder to a mixing ratio of 5.50 to 5.20 to 5.60 L (6 U.S. qts.) of water per 22.7 kg (50 lb.) bag of DYNAPLAN 150. Upon combining all of the water and the entire contents of DYNAPLAN 150, begin mixing material together to a homogenous and lump-free consistency. This takes from 90 to 120 seconds. This mixing ratio must remain consistent.
Do not overwater material.
Use the same mixing ratio as described above and use a high-speed mixer (at about 1,200 rpm) with a mixing paddle. Typically, this mixing procedure involves two bags of DYNAPLAN 150 with the correct water ratio as described above. Mix to a homogenous, lump-free consistency for about 90 to 120 seconds. Do not overmix. Overmixing can cause air entrapment, which will shorten the pot life or cause pinholing during application and curing.
DYNAPLAN 150 can be mechanically mixed, using the appropriate mixing ratio above, with a continuous mixer, pump and hose or a batch mixer, pump and hose.
Ensure that doors and windows are closed, and turn off HVAC systems to prevent drafts during application and until floor is cured. Turn off all radiant heating systems. Protect areas from direct sunlight.
When working in large areas it can be made easier and more efficient by using conventional piston, rotor-stator or underlayment-type pumps. For best results a team may be required. Work as a team to provide a continuous flow of wet material, to avoid trapping air or creating a cold joint.
Set the width of the pour at a distance that is ideal for maintaining a wet edge throughout placement. Quickly pour or pump DYNAPLAN 150 onto the properly prepared and primed surface in a ribbon pattern. If a wet edge cannot be maintained, reduce the width of the pour.
DYNAPLAN 150 has an approximate working time of 15 minutes at 23°C (73°F). It should be noted that temperature and humidity will affect working time, flowability and setting time.
After placing the DYNAPLAN 150, spread the material with a gauge spreader to assist in gauging out the DYNAPLAN 150 to the desired depth. DYNAPLAN 150 will seek its own level during the first 10 to 15 minutes. For featheredging and touch up, use a smoothing tool. DYNAPLAN 150 can be applied to 40 mm (1.5") thick in one application; if a second layer is required, install immediately after the first layer has set to a walkable hardness. If the first layer has dried over 12 hours, re-prime before the second application. All of the above statements are subject to real-time jobsite temperatures and humidity conditions.
NOTE: INSTALLATION OVER EXISTING CERAMIC TILE, STONE OR CEMENT TERRAZZO
- Skim coat existing ceramic tile, cement terrazzo or natural stone with DYNAFLEX RS 650 (min. 3 mm [1/8"] thick) and allow to dry.
- Prime surface according to the priming instructions and install DYNAPLAN 150.
- DYNAPLAN 150 cures to a walkable hardness in about 3 hours. Do not use a damp-curing method or curing and sealing compounds as this product is self-curing.
- For ceramic tile and stone, allow 4 hours; for impervious floor coverings, allow 16 to 24 hours. Test for moisture content before applying vinyl or wood flooring.
- Protect installation from traffic, dirt and dust from other trades until DYNAPLAN 150 has completely cured and before the final floor surface has been installed.
- Do not subject DYNAPLAN 150 to dynamic loads from fork-lifts, scissor lifts, or industrial equipment for at least 72 hours after installation.
|Approximate Product Coverage* per thickness for a 22.7 kg (50 lb.) bag|
|3 mm (1/8")||4,46 m² (48 sq. ft.)|
|6 mm (1/4")||2,23 m² (24 sq. ft.)|
|13 mm (1/2")||1,11 m² (12 sq. ft.)|
|18 mm (3/4")||0.8 m² (8.6 sq. ft.)|
|25 mm (1")||0,6 m² (6.4 sq. ft.)|
|37 mm (1 1/2")||0,45 m² (5.00 sq. ft.)|
Wash hands and tools with water promptly before material hardens.
DYNA® DYNAPLAN 150 | Premium Self-Leveling Underlayment & Topping is available in 22.7 kg (50 lb.) bag.
DYNA® DYNAPLAN 150 factory sealed bags are guaranteed to be of first quality for one (1) year * if stored off the ground in a dry area at 18–26°C (65–80°F) with 50% relative humidity.
* High humidity will reduce the shelf life of bagged product.
CAUTION. Consult and read the MSDS thoroughly for this product for more safety information.
This product is corrosive as it contains Portland cement. Portland cement when mixed with water results in a solution of calcium hydroxide and is therefore injurious to the eyes and can cause skin irritation. Therefore, avoid eye contact and prolonged contact with the skin. Protect eyes with goggles and skin with waterproof gloves. If splashed in eyes, flush thoroughly for at least 15 minutes and consult a physician immediately.
DYNA shall not be liable for incidental and consequential damages, indirectly or directly sustained, nor for any loss by application of these goods not in accordance with the printed instructions or for other than the intended use. Before using the user shall determine the suitability of the product for its intended use and the user will assume all risks and liabilities that may arise in connection therewith. DYNA’s liability is expressly limited to the replacement of defective goods. Any claim shall be deemed waived unless the claim is made in writing to DYNA within 30 days
This premium quality product was designed to satisfy the user. If you are not satisfied after Surface Testing on a small area, please contact our technical service department immediately.
NO WARRANTIES expressed or implied are offered by DYNA. The Manufacturer’s liability is limited to the replacement of products proven defective.
The user assumes all risks and liabilities associated with the use of this product.
|Test Procedures / Characteristics||Typical Values Obtained|
|Colour / Physical state||Gray / Powder|
|Mixing ratio||Ratio of water to DYNAPLAN 150 is 5,44 to 5,68 L
per 22,7 kg (5.75 to 6 U.S qts. per 50 lb.) bag
|Density||Approx. 2,06 kg per L (128 lbs. per cu. ft.)|
|Application temperature range||10°C to 35°C (50°F to 95°F)|
|Working time||Approx. 30 minutes|
|Final set||2 to 3 hours|
|Time required before installation of tile or stone||Typically 3 hours|
|Time required before installation of impervious floor covering||Typically 16 to 24 hours, depending on temperature and humidity|
|Heal time||20 minutes|
|Compressive strength ASTM C109|
|1 day||> 3,000 psi (20,67 MPa)|
|7 days||> 4,000 psi (27,57 MPa)|
|28 days||> 5,500 psi (37,9 MPa)|
|Flexural strength ASTM C348|
|1 day||> 600 psi (4,13 MPa)|
|7 days||> 1,000 psi (6,9 MPa)|
|28 days||> 1,200 psi (8,27 MPa)|
|Pull-out strength (Direct Tensile Bond test - rupture in concrete substrate)|
|28 days||> 410 psi (2,82 MPa)|