DYNA® DYNABOND 400 | Thin-Set Mortar (for Floor & Wall Tiles) (Premium Grade) is a Portland cement powder, graded silica aggregates and chemicals carefully selected and controlled by DYNA Corporation. It is a resin reinforced high shear bond strength dry-set thin-set mortar. It provides a permanent installation with high bond strength and requires no soaking of tiles. DYNABOND 400 is resistant to water after being cured but does not provide a waterproof barrier. Areas with prolonged contact with water, DYNALASTIC 5000 should be used in place of water when mixing. When mixed with DYNALASTIC 5000 it may be installed for indoor residential and light to moderate commercial floors and countertops in dry areas only over CSA-0211 EXTERIOR SELECT or (SEL TF) Douglas Fir plywood according to COFI classification, vinyl asbestos tile and dry cut-back adhesive. For increased freeze/thaw resistance mix with DYNALASTIC 5000 in place of water. For the installation of porcelain stoneware tile DYNALASTIC 5000 should be used in place of water.
- Easy to Handle: Plastic, workable, glides on, non-sagging, long open time and increased tile adjustability.
- High Bond Strength: Greater than 200% stronger than mastic type adhesives.
- Versatile: Lower material and labour costs than conventional Portland cement mortar beds.
Ideal for setting absorptive, semi-vitreous and vitreous ceramic, marble, and granite floor and wall tiles over concrete masonry, cured Portland cement mortar beds, brick, glass mesh mortar units, gypsum board, unglazed ceramic, marble and clay tile for residential, commercial, interior or exterior applications.
1. Stone such as Rosso Levanto and Negro Marquina or any green marble can be set with this material but due to the characteristics of these types of stone, warpage may occur due to changes in temperature, humidity, or the water in the thin-set mortar. It is, therefore, recommended that DYNAPOXY be used for the setting of these stones.
2. For the installation of white or translucent marble a white setting mortar should be used.
Do not use grey mortar mixes as this may discolour or stain the stone.
3. Do not use over presswood, particle board, Masonite, chipboard, laun, asbestos board, gypsum floor patching compounds, metal glass, plastic or any unstable materials which are deemed unsuitable substrates.
4. In dry areas only for interior residential, light or moderate commercial floors when mixed with DYNALASTIC 5000 in place of water it can be used on CSA-0211 Exterior Select or (SEL TF) Douglas fir plywood and countertops.
5. Do not use in temperatures below 10°C (50°F) or above 40°C (104°F).
6. Keep the area of installation from freezing for at least 28 days after application.
SECTIONS - 930000
A. SURFACE PREPARATION
1. All substrates must be to the recommended tolerances of ANSI A108.5 for dry-set mortar
2. The substrates must be structurally sound, solid, stable, dry, clean and free of grease, oil, paint, dust, tar, wax, curing agent, primer, sealer, or any other substances which may prevent or reduce the adhesion of this product.
3. Painted surfaces must be completely sanded, scrapped, or chipped to promote adhesion. 4. Surfaces may be cleaned with DYNA brand of cleaners if thoroughly flushed and neutralized.
1. Use a clean mixing vessel and pour approximately 5.5 L (1.45 Gal) to 6.0 L (1.59 Gal) of cold clean water and then add 22.7 kg (50 lbs) of DYNABOND 400 gradually while mixing.
2. Use a slow speed mixer (approximately 150 R.P.M).
3. Mix thoroughly to a homogeneous and smooth consistency. Avoid air entrapment by prolonged mixing which will shorten the pot life and reduce the compression strength of the mortar.
4. Let the mix slake for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Re-stir the entire contents of the vessel without adding anymore water to the dry mix.
6. Wash your tools immediately after mixing.
7. When mixing with DYNALASTIC 5000 in place of water pour approximately 7.0 L (1.85 Gal) of DYNALASTIC 5000 and then add the dry mix.
8. The pot life of the mix is between 4 and 6 hours.
NOTE: Some stiffening may occur before all material is used (approximately 4 hours). When this occurs, simply re-stir by hand or machine, but DO NOT add anymore liquid.
Read the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) before use.
1. Use of a recommended notched trowel with adequate depth to achieve a 100% mortar contact, after beat-in, to the back of the tiles is recommended.
2. Using the flat edge of the trowel, spread a thin coat over the substrate.
3. Then apply additional material and comb the mortar with the notched side of the trowel.
4. Do not spread more mix than can be covered with the tiles within 10 to 15 minutes. Otherwise a skin may form on top of the mortar and proper adhesion will not be achieved.
5. Place the tiles firmly into position with a slight twisting motion. Then once the tile has been set, properly beat in the tiles with a beating block in order that at least 1/4 of the thickness of the tile is set into the mortar bed.
6. Finished mortar bed thickness should be between 2.5 - 3.0 mm (3/32 to 1/8 inch) thick after tiles are beat in without any voids or air pockets.
7. Insure that all your alignments and adjustments are performed immediately (do not exceed 30-40 minutes).
8. Should skinning occur, remove the dry or skinned mortar and replace it with fresh mortar. Clean out the joints and smudges from the face of the tile immediately with a damp towel.
10. Leave at least 2/3 of the joint depth open for grouting. Do not soak the tiles before application.
11. For commercial floors, shower applications and exterior applications back butter each tile immediately prior to laying it into position using the flat edge of the trowel to insure and achieve 100% mortar contact.
Depending on the width of your pavement joints, a 22.7 kg (50 lb.) bag of DYNABOND 400 | Thin-Set Mortar will cover from 7 m² - 8 m² (75 ft² to 86 ft²).
EXPANSION AND CONTROL JOINTS
Provide expansion and control joints where specified. Do not cover any expansion joints with mortar. Cut tiles on both sides along the edges of the expansion joints. Also insert the specified compressible bead and sealant to caulk the expansion and control joint.
Follow ANSI AN 3.8, “Requirements for Expansion Joints”.
Do not walk over, grout or disturb the tiles for at least 48 hours after the installation. Use DYNACOLOR grouts when grouting.
- Protect tile-work from freezing and complete water immersion for at least 28 days after the completion of the work performed.
- Do not walk on the tiles for at least 48 hours after the installation.
- Plywood stepping boards may be used after 24 hours when it is unavoidable to occasionally step on the floor.
- Do not permit heavy traffic to pass on the tiles for at least 7 days after the installation.
- Protect walls from impact, heavy hammering and vibration on opposite and adjacent walls for at least 14 days after installation.
- When working in cold temperatures or high humidity protect the tile-work for an extended period of time to permit the mortar to adequately cure before you grout or permit traffic to walk on the tiles.
Wash your tools immediately after mixing. Clean your hands and tools with water while the mortar is wet.
DYNA® DYNABOND 400 | Thin-Set Mortar (for Floor & Wall Tiles) (Premium Grade) is available in 22.7 kg (50 lbs) bag.
CAUTION. Consult and read the SDS thoroughly for this product for more safety information.
This product is corrosive as it contains Portland cement. Portland cement when mixed with
water results in a solution of calcium hydroxide and is therefore injurious to the eyes and can
cause skin irritation. Therefore, avoid eye contact and prolonged contact with the skin. Protect
eyes with goggles and skin with waterproof gloves. If splashed in eyes, flush thoroughly for at
least 15 minutes and consult a physician immediately. In case of ingestion consult a physician
DYNA shall not be liable for incidental and consequential damages, indirectly or directly sustained, nor for any loss by application of these goods not in accordance with the printed instructions or for other than the intended use. Before using the user shall determine the suitability of the product for its intended use and the user will assume all risks and liabilities that may arise in connection therewith. DYNA’s liability is expressly limited to the replacement of defective goods. Any claim shall be deemed waived unless the claim is made in writing to DYNA within 30 days
This premium quality product was designed to satisfy the user. If you are not satisfied after Surface Testing on a small area, please contact our technical service department immediately.
NO WARRANTIES expressed or implied are offered by DYNA. The Manufacturer’s liability is limited to the replacement of products proven defective.
The user assumes all risks and liabilities associated with the use of this product.
|Trowel Size||Coverage per 22.7 kg (50 lbs.)|
6 x 6 x 6 mm (1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4")
|6,97 to 8,36 m² (75 to 90 sq. ft.)|
6 x 10 x 6 mm (1/4" x 3/8" x 1/4")
|5,11 to 6,04 m² (55 to 65 sq. ft.)|
12 x 12 x 12 mm (1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2")
|3,53 to 4,18 m² (38 to 45 sq. ft.)|