DYNA® OPTIMATRIX Polymeric Jointing Sand is well below the “OSHA’s (29 CFR 1926.1153) limits for construction material. Click HERE to read more about the OSHA’s Silica Standard.
DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand is a dry mixture of calibrated sands, polymers, binders and dedicated chemical controlling agents specifically designed to bind firmly and easily together in horizontal pavement joints. Applied dry into the pavement joints, it will harden and stay in place after being wet. Carefully blended with a higher content of polymers and dedicated control agents than any other comparable, the quality of DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand ensures increased stability, performance and lasting durability to your paver projects.
Developed by a team of experts in chemistry and in the paver industry, DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand retains the adequate elasticity needed to adapt to the movements of the pavement surface. It will resist erosion due to weather, maintenance and traffic.
FEATURES & ADVANTAGES
- Contrary to regular sands, it stays firm, flexible and perfectly in place after wetting & curing.
- Ideal for Pavement Joints up to 1.6cm (5/8in.)
- Ideal for use on sloped pavement
- Eliminates washouts of sand into pools
- Insures a better stability of the installed pavers
- Excellent for indoor use, allows vacuuming of the surface
- One time installation only, saves time and money
- Strongly diminishes weeds from growing
- Adapts to paver movements in all weather conditions
- Resists freeze-thaw cycles
- Repels insects
- ICPI Tech Spec. 2, 5, 9
- ASTM C 144
- CSA A179
- CSA A82.56M
DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand should be used to fill pavement joints of Pavers, Slabs and Natural Stones installed on horizontal surfaces such as driveways, patios, pool decks and garden areas.
Note: For surfaces with wider paving joints, for sharper sloped areas or for areas that are more exposed to heavy circulation and maintenance duties, we recommend that you use the WJ formula (DYNA® WJ Polymeric Jointing Sand).
- Do not leave any Polymeric Sand on the stone surface prior to wetting as it will bond there and will be difficult to remove
- This product is not a substitute to mortar
- Do not apply Polymeric Sand to a wet or damp pavement surface
- Do not apply Polymeric Sand if rain is forecasted in the next 24 hours after installation
- Do not use Polymeric Sand if the pavement surface is installed directly on concrete or does not have a draining bed
- Stay off freshly sanded surface for a minimum of 15 hours
- Do not exceed the prescribed joint width size of 1.60cm (5/8inch)
- This product can not be submersed in water
Minimum Width of Joint: 2.0 mm (1/16”)
Minimum Depth of Joint: 32.0 mm (1 1/4“)
SECTIONS - 321400 / 321413 / 321416 / 321440
A. REQUIREMENTS (BEFORE GETTING STARTED)
- The pavement surface and joints must be totally dry.
- The outdoor temperature must be greater than 5°C (41°F) for duration of 24hrs after installation.
- No rain should be forecasted within the next 24 hours of installation.
Optimal results: It should be sunny, dry, with temperatures greater than 20°C (68°F).
Before using this product, always test the product on a small zone 1m2 (10 sq/ft) of your pavement making sure to follow the instructions carefully. Let dry for 24 hours. If you are satisfied with the results, proceed with the entire surface area.
1. Sweep DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand evenly into the pavement joints using a push broom until the joints are filled completely.
2. Remove all sand residues from the top of the pavement, using a mechanical leaf blower.
3. Compact sand into pavement joints as prescribed by your paving stone manufacturer’s recommendations.
4. If necessary, after compaction, brush in a small amount of Polymeric Sand to ensure that the joints are filled to approximately 0.3 cm (1/8 inch) from the top edge of the pavers.
5. Blow off with the leaf blower all sand excess and dust residues from the top of the pavement making sure that the surface is perfectly free of all particles.
D. WATERING THE SAND JOINTS
Important: You will need to gradually water the Polymeric Sand 3 times. When doing so do not direct any water on the joints as it will displace the sand from the joints. Also, make sure not to over flood the placement joints as this will wash away the active ingredients from the polymeric sand, leading to poor results or failure.
i) First Wetting
1. Work in sections of about 100 m2 (1000 sq/ft).
2. Use a water hose equipped with a shower head working at medium debit. A good water debit is necessary but no pressure that could displace the sand from the joints.
3. Starting at the highest elevation of your surface, position the shower head at 1 foot from the surface and shower the stones in a sweeping movement from left to right.
Clean the stone surface rapidly while allowing the water to slowly migrate and channel into the joints. This first step will ensure that your stones are thoroughly free of all dust and will wet and stabilize the sand.
4. When finished watering your first section, you are then ready to proceed to the second wetting.
Notes: Focus on watering the stones not the pavement joints. By doing so, you will remove any fine particles that could have adhered to the pores of the substrate and keep the sand perfectly stable in the pavement joints. If pooling of water happens on top of the joints, proceed to wet another zone of your section.
ii) Second and Third Wettings
1. Change your sprayer. Now use a water hose equipped with a fine mist sprayer. If available, use a pressure washer to work faster.
2. Start again at the top of your surface and direct a fine mist of water in the air so that water gently drops down on the pavement surface and the joints. Do so until the sand joints and pavement surface have become moistened. Do not allow pooling of water on the sand joints.
3. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and repeat Step 2 one more time.
iii) Final Verification
10 minutes after the Third Wetting, verify if the Polymeric Sand is thoroughly moistened.
To do so, empty the sand joint in a few places using a key or a small screwdriver. Your sand should be moist all the way through. If you notice that water has not fully penetrated the joints, proceed with another fine mist application of water (as in step ii) until desired results are obtained.
iv) Drying Time
24 hours in dry warm weather.
Depending on the width of your pavement joints, a 22.7kg (50lbs) bag of DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand will cover from 2 to 8 m2 (20 to 80 sq/ft).
HEALTH & SAFETY
Refer to the Safety Data Sheet (SDS) for additional information on this product.
Clean hands and tools with soap and water.
DYNA shall not be liable for incidental and consequential damages, indirectly or directly sustained, nor for any loss by application of these goods not in accordance with the printed instructions or for other than the intended use. Before using the user shall determine the suitability of the product for its intended use and the user will assume all risks and liabilities that may arise in connection therewith. DYNA’s liability is expressly limited to the replacement of defective goods. Any claim shall be deemed waived unless the claim is made in writing to DYNA within 15 days
DYNA® RJ Polymeric Jointing Sand is available in 22.7kg (50lbs) bags.
Contains Silica Crystals. If swallowed, call a Poison Control Centre or doctor immediately. Do not induce vomiting. If in eyes, rinse with water for 15 minutes and call a physician. If on skin or clothes, rinse well with water and soap for 15 minutes.
If inhaled, move victim to fresh air and get immediate medical attention.
Keep product stored in a dry area.
Ground and Maritime freight are not regulated for this product.
This premium quality product was designed to satisfy the user. If you are not satisfied after Surface Testing on a small area, please contact our technical service department immediately.
NO WARRANTIES expressed or implied are offered by DYNA. The Manufacturer’s liability is limited to the replacement of products proven defective.
The user assumes all risks and liabilities associated with the use of this product.
|at 22°C (72°F) and 50% relative humidity|
|Shelf life||1 year|
|Initial Set||8 to 24 hours|
|Final Cure||> 24 to 72 hours|
|Time to Pedestrian Traffic||24 hours|
|Time to Vehicular Traffic||24 to 48 hours|
|VOCs (Rule #1168 of California's SCAQMD)||0 g/L.|
|Product Code||Size And Color|
|2201-RJG||22.7 kg (50 lbs.) Granite Grey|
|2201-RJB||22.7 kg (50 lbs.) Quartz Beige|